Wireless energy is referred to by many names and it's associated with a myriad of potential health issues.
- All these names refer to pretty much the same thing: Radio Frequency(RF) Radiation, Microwave Radiation, Electromagnetic Radiation(EMR), Information Carrying Radio Waves, Wireless RF. It's often referred to simply as Electromagnetic Fields or EMF.
- How It Works: The Physics definition from Wikipedia explains it this way: Electromagnetic Radiation (EM radiation or EMR) refers to the waves (or their quanta, photons) of the electromagnetic fields, propagating (radiating) through space-time, carrying electromagnetic radiant energy.
- The way it's easiest for me to explain is that we are electromagnetic in nature--and as such our body's energy is affected by the electromagnetic energy in our environment.
- How Much EMR are we talking about? The increasing saturation and obsession with wireless--including cellphones, smartphones, WiFi, Bluetooth speakers and wearables, thermostats, security systems--the list goes on--means, according to Dr. George Carlo's fellow Generation Zapped expert, Olle Johannsen - that we are now "exposed to a quintillion times more EMR that we were just ten years ago! That's a 1 followed by 18 zeroes."
- I like to think of this energy as just one more pollutant or toxin or irritant in our environment and something we need to be aware of.
- If you could see the waves of“invisible” energy coming from our wireless devices, it would be easier to understand how there's so much of it. Over the last ten years, I've used special meters to measure the radiation coming out of everything from flip phones, to baby monitors. I think it’s fun and yes, important to experience something that you can’t see, smell or touch, but is so wildly powerful, it can deliver a 97-minute video in high definition or the live face and voice of friends anywhere in the world.
- When it comes to being exposed to this invisible energy, people often ask the same thing: "How much is too much?" And "What's a "safe" level of exposure?" We’ll go over the Chart of Recommended Levels in a moment and offer some simple and easy EMF Protection options.
But, the truth is: There’s no research yet that can point to an actual safe level of EMF exposure.
- Known Health Effects. For years we've seen study after study showing how wireless energy can affect our health. I personally know it affects me—I get headaches, anxiety, and tingling. Research points to possible effects that range from infertility to cancer (in some cases and for some people). If you start digging into, you'll quickly find that the news is pretty scary--frankly, I don't like to think about it.
- Reported symptoms of exposure to wireless energy, provided by Dr. Ronald Powell note a study of 400+people, shows sleep disruption, headaches, ringing or buzzing in the ears, fatigue, loss of concentration, memory and learning ability and dizziness and disorientation at the top of the list.
Epidemiologist, Tech Wellness Expert and author, Dr. George Carlo has been studying this type of EMF- RF(radio frequency energy) for decades and he tells us, "The health effects aspect is complicated. There is now no doubt scientifically that radio waves carrying information trigger some type of biological response in almost everyone exposed. However, what happens after the triggering is variable. For some people, the triggering causes debilitating biological cascades that manifest as EHS, other symptoms and frankly, disease."
Millions of people rely on Wikipedia for every imaginable kind of information--but in the case of EHS-- Electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS) they are doing the people who have it a big dis-service. Here's what they claim: "it's a claimed sensitivity to electromagnetic fields to which negative symptoms are attributed. EHS has no scientific basis and is not a recognised medical diagnosis.
- Research Studies. Tech Wellness has curated and included 100's of studies reporting biological effects from exposure to RF radiation. Here's one example: A European study from 2015 showed that heavy cellphone use for over ten years correlated to a double risk of brain cancer, and even more alarming, kids who begin using cell phones as teenagers had a four to five times higher chance of being diagnosed with brain cancer.
- How the Heck Did this Happen? How did we get to the point where cellphones are everywhere and wireless energy now blankets the world without doing all the research first? And knowing the potential hazards.
- Our Public Policy and Science Expert, Dr. George Carlo explains how the cell phone industry was able to get this technology to market before it was properly tested. His book, Cellphones: Invisible Hazards in the Wireless Age details industry corruption and how research about health impacts has been suppressed for years.
So, When it comes to Wireless RF -Is there a safe level?
- Tech Wellness is your trusted resource. Our research section is a good place to start if you’re really curious about what scientists are finding out about our beautiful bodies and wireless energy.
- Also, the makers of the cellphones and watches we love to use reference RF energy and safe distance levels in their manuals. Our research section has links to the iPhone 8, Macbook, Apple Watch And Samsung manuals. Here's a sample, “During testing, Apple Watch radios are set to their highest transmission levels and placed in positions that simulate use against the head, with 10mm separation, and on the wrist with no separation. When placing the Apple Watch near your face, keep at least 10mm of separation to ensure exposure levels remain at or below the as-tested levels.” Apple advises that the watch stays a 1/2" from your face so levels don't go above the "tested" levels. Hmmmmm...
- One of the largest European Telecom providers put a warning in their recent manual for their WiFi router: "Avoid placing your Speedport router in immediate proximity to bedrooms, children's rooms, living rooms (means also common rooms or lounges,) in order to keep the exposure to electromagnetic fields as low as possible."
- Being EHS, I take good care of myself—but I need to be mindful of the power density level of the wireless RF energy and the amount of time I'm exposed because EMR is like a pollutant, allergen, or toxin to my body and I sometimes begin to feel symptoms.
- Are you sensitive to wireless energy? Dr. Carlo explains, "Some people are being adversely effected but don't know it because they confuse common symptoms like headaches, anxiety, being short-tempered, dizziness, sleep problems, weight-gain, and low energy with other things in life and don't connect it to wireless devices and the infrastructure. Still other people have developed adaptive responses so they are not functionally impaired at all. It's important for people to become informed so that they can figure out where they fit and then take steps accordingly."
- Like with any environmental assault, a healthy immune system helps. Dr. Carlo points out "It's not possible to eliminate all of the RF that is around us; it is always a race between damage and compensation. One thing that advances compensation is a healthy lifestyle and exercise."
- The Scale I Don’t Want You To Miss (August's Recommended Level): This chart shows the level (1) that I don't feel comfortable seeing anyone exceed! If you can stay 12 inches from your cellphone and 20 feet from your WiFi, exposure levels shouldn't reach this fairly significant level. This is my personal opinion based on my personal experience. And as you’ll see in my videos—anytime we measure a cellphone that’s less than 10" away, we generally go over 1.0.
- No Fear, Practice Mindfulness. That's our mantra here at Tech Wellness Our Wireless Guide has more detailed information on electromagnetic radiation and Wireless RF. It also includes more ideas for living healthy and well, yet also stay connected. Our goal is to facilitate maintaining health while people access the benefits of emerging technology.
- 20 Top EMF Protection Tips For You and Your Family
- Avoid Wifi exposure by placing the WiFi in a remote area of your home. See Best Place To Locate WiFi with Video
- Wire up! Wire your computer to a wired keyboard. Wire your mouse to the keyboard. Wire the ethernet to you home. No WiFi energy exposure required!
- Use the phone on Speaker Mode--or Use a Protected Wired Headset. We recommend the anti-radiation Airtube headset that we've tested to prevent emf from traveling through the wires to the head
- When texting, avoid cellphone EMF by using a non-wireless stylus. Here's a video to show you the reduction of radiation exposure
- Do not hold your cellphone and it's wireless energy when the phone is on. Carry your phone as far away from you as possible. Here's a cross body with a VERY long safer strap and a video with other ideas for carrying your phone away from your beautiful body
- Turn your phone off or to airplane mode when not using
- Turn off Blue tooth and WiFi functionality on your phone when not using it to avoid being exposed to additional wireless RF
- Be aware of the Bars on your Phone--they show you how hard it has to work to get signal. Fewer bars=higher RF radiation levels. Use the cellphone only when the signal is strong. Avoid using the phone while driving as the phone continually drops and receives signal causing higher power density level requirements.
- Turn off BlueTooth and WiFi on your computer-it's sending out wireless signal even when you're not using it so you'll get EMF protection
- Turn your computer off, when not using it, to avoid EMF exposure.
- Turn your WiFi off when not using it, at least every night while you're sleeping. Here's a great switch to distance yourself from the WiFi router for EMF protection.
- Manually Fetch emails and texts and then turn off your phone to read and reply. You'll be protected from unnecessary EMF radiation
- If you use your phone as camera or an alarm clock, you can do both with your phone in airplane mode and steer clear of RF radiation.
- Eliminate wireless devices from your life and enjoy low tech.
- Browse other ways to be mindful of RF radiation in our Body Section. You'll find EMF meters and other EMF protection
Want to see more measurements of more things? Are you as fascinated by all of this as I am? Here are a few of our favorites: