Wireless Baby Monitors Moms and Dads- Here's What You Need to Know
- Wireless Baby Monitors Constantly emit EMF microwave radiation while switched on (both the base and the parent handset) See Section 1
- Wireless Baby Monitors Come with warnings in their packaging: Keep them at a distance, like 20 cm, or just under 8 inches, from the body
- Babies brains are just developing. Children absorb more RF radiation than adults from wireless baby monitors because their brain tissues are more absorbent, their skulls are thinner and their relative size is smaller. See Section 2
- Wireless Baby Monitors are one source of EMF your baby does not need to be exposed to. See Section 3
- There are Privacy Issues with Wireless Baby Monitors as the signal may not be secure. See Section 4
- Currently there are no Wired Baby Monitors on the Market in the US. We have a DIY wired baby monitor option. See Section 5
- IF you choose A Wireless Baby Monitor, take some precautions. See Section 6
SEE The Invisible EMF Radiation in Your Babies Environment- Our Easiest Home Meter:
1. Baby Monitors and EMF or Wireless Energy
On Being Mindful About Wireless Energy
We advocate what’s referred to as the Precautionary Principle. Basically, this means that because there’s research, lots of it actually, saying the energy that powers our cellphones– RF radiation– could be causing health concerns-including tumors and cancer, then we ought to take care when using our cell phones -and all devices that emit RF-and use them mindfully.
2. And More Precaution is More Important For Our Kids-
We talk about how to know when your child should have a cellphone or smartphone of their own in our Parent's Guide To Giving Your Kids A Phone
But children are susceptible to RF radiation simply from all wireless devices--even if their just holding Mom's or Dad's.
The illustration below is from the MID-90's(yes, parents have been concerned about wireless radiation for a loooong time) It's a picture of how kids brains absorb more radiation then adults because of their thinner, developing skulls. This was done by Professor Gandhi who was actually working for the Motorola and Department of Defense at the time and according to Devra Davis* lost his funding after he published this 2 dimensional modeling.
Children's little bodies are different then ours. Their skulls are thinner and the fact that their body systems are rapidly developing makes them more vulnerable to microwave exposures. Devra Davis of the Environmental Health Trust reminds us that this information is scientifically accepted. She also lead research *confirming that because children’s skulls are thinner and tissues of a child’s head, including the bone marrow and the eye, absorb significantly more energy than those in an adult head. The illustration below demonstrates the greater exposure absorption for a smaller head. It's done with 3D modeling used for the Environmental Health Trust.
3 . Baby Monitors Aren’t The Only Source of EMFs
All wireless devices emit RF radiation a type of EMF. Today in our wireless obsessed world, our radiation exposures to EMF have never before been this continual and intense. Here's a list of what's in a typical babie's home-A list of things baby shouldn't be too close too.
- Cordless Phones
- Smart Meters
- Smart TVs
- Nest Wireless Air and Heat Controls
- Wireless Security System
- Wireless Printers
- WiFi Routers
- Wireless Modems
- Digital Alarm Clocks
- Anything with Bluetooth
- Smartphones and Cell Phones
Detox your home of EMF from other sources
Being EMF sensitive or ES, I've created an EMF free home. I use these fabulous RF and EMF meters to guide my electromagnetic radiation exposure. You can work toward a more RF radiation- free environment by wiring up as much as possible. Let's start with the baby's room:ough a pretty powerful DECT/WiFi connection.
4. Wireless = not secure
There's another reason you don't want to use a wireless baby monitor: WiFi transmissions are prone to hackers. The Internet connection and smartphone capability make these devices easy and ideal for hacking - and it's happening more and more. In fact, in November of 2016, a Washington couple were alarmed to discover that a stranger had hacked into their Foscam baby monitor and was spying on their toddler, sometimes screaming profanities at the baby. The hacker was using the night-vision lens controls to follow the parent's movements, narrating them to the baby i.e "oh look, daddy is walking into the room!" How creepy and utterly gross and invasive! A masked invader inside your most vulnerable room in the house - the nursery. In reality, the hacker was probably just using a laptop or smartphone app. Unfortunately, it's that easy.
Let's start with the baby's room:
5. A Wired Baby Monitor is a Safe Baby Monitor
The safest solution is to install a wired intercom. OR, since no one is offering a Wired Baby Monitor now. August Brice shows you HOW TO CREATE A WIRED BABY MONITOR using a WIRELESS CAMERA HACK and we have Links to All the supplies you'll need and step by step instructions.
With a wired setup, the data from the camera will be sent via your copper in-home power lines, rather than through a pretty powerful DECT/WiFi connection.
6. How to use your Baby Monitor More Safely...
No matter what system you use:
- Place the baby monitor at least 10 feet away from the crib. The best distance would be the "furthest" distance from the baby. We've done some measurements ourselves and even we wouldn't go more than 10 feet away from them; we are grown, adults! Baby monitors are just notoriously strong for EMF. See August's video. If the baby monitor has a plug rather than batteries, ensure that the adapter is plugged in at least 6-10 feet away from the crib.
If you must use a wireless monitor, make sure:
- Make sure it's voice-activated.
- Buy a secure device. There's plenty of consumer reports on security/privacy ratings of these devices.
- Use a strong password and change it every six months.
- Register your product and update software and applications regularly.
- Just like all wireless devices, our favorite TechWellness advice is to turn devices off when you are not using them! Only use monitors during naptime.
Another semi-low tech idea, the Snuza Hero Baby Movement Monitor--it's an attachable device and it detects the movements of your baby. And of course, without the harmful energy. We got your back.
Click on the photo below to see a video of how it works.
The Snuza Hero is the one WITHOUT Bluetooth or any wireless connectivity. The other Snuza models DO have a wireless connection.
To all the wonderful mommies, soon to be mommies, are those who are in the childcare industry; here's to keeping your bundles of joy happy, healthy, and safe.
XO Tech Wellness Tribe